Know The Invisible (Understood) Ones
- When the symbol "x" is written to represent a number, it is understood
that the coefficient of x is 1, the exponent of x is 1, and the divisor of x is 1.
- It is understood that x means 1x, the coefficient is 1:
- It is understood that x means x1, the exponent is 1:
- It is understood that x means x/1, the divisor is 1:
- Recalling these three invisible, unwritten, understood, ones facilitates computation.
This is a page from the dictionary
MATH SPOKEN HERE!, published in 1995 by MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS, inc.,
ISBN: 0-9623593-5-1. You are hereby granted permission to make ONE printed copy of
this page and its picture(s) for your PERSONAL and not-for-profit use.
|© 2005, Agnes Azzolino |