Table of Essays
So, What's A Fraction?
Numerator Over Demonimator? The words barely have meaning other that "top number"
over "bottom number." Learn the meaning of numerator and denominator and fraction.
- Order of Operations is the Grammar of Mathematics.
- If even two operations are required to determine a value, one must be completed first.
Learn how to indicate which comes first.
- Most Operations Are Not Distributive
- 4(5 + 6) is also 4(5) + 4(6) but (5 + 6)² is NOT EQUAL TO 5² + 6².
Learn why and why not.
- "A Number" Doesn't Mean "Any Old Number."
- Algebra begins with this idea. Yes, all the rules of arithmetic hold in algebra, but,
the most important idea of variable is introduced.
- Know The Invisible (Understood) Ones.
- Yes, it looks like an "x" but the invisible ones surrounding the "x" facalitate
computation. Examine the understood but unwritten coefficient, exponent, and
divisor of 1.
- A Graph Is A Portrait
- It's a whole, different,
Consider the language of mathematical portraits.
- Undefined Is Not Undefined.
- You "can't divide by zero" doesn't mean you "can't divide by zero."
- Imaginary Numbers Are Not Imaginary.
- You "can't take the square root of a negative number" doesn't mean you "can't take the
square root of a negative number."
- Celebrity Numbers
- Euler said it better:
Here we'll say:
This is a page from the dictionary
MATH SPOKEN HERE!, published in 1995 by MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS, inc.,
ISBN: 0-9623593-5-1. You are hereby granted permission to make ONE printed copy of
this page and its picture(s) for your PERSONAL and not-for-profit use.
|© 2005, Agnes Azzolino |