- The Statistic Meaning Center
- Number, n, is the statistic describing how big the set of numbers is, how
many pieces of data are in the set.
Average is the statistic
which describes the center of a set of data, a set of numbers which are measurements or counts.
- The most commonly used averages are the
mean (arithmetic average),
mode (most frequent number),
median (middle number when numbers are listed smallest to largest).
- [Please visit each link in the above paragraph to see how each statistic is
- Each average, you see, has a different meaning --
describes a different center.
- The mean, for example, is the average computed by adding each piece of
data, each number in the set, then dividing the total by n, the number of numbers. See
- For a sample of numbers, add the numbers,
divide by the number of numbers, n.
- For the entire set (a population) of numbers,
add the numbers, divide by the number of numbers, n.