- multiplication, division, factoring of polynomials
- The following are examples of expressions written in factored and
in product form. Some of the products have special names.
|Factored Form ||Product||This is called a |
|(x + y)²||x² +2xy + y²||perfect square trinomial|
|(x - y)²||x² - 2xy + y²||perfect square trinomial|
|x3 - y3||(x - y)(x² + xy + y²)
||difference of two cubes |
|x3 + y3||(x + y)(x² - xy + y²)
||sum of two cubes |
|x² - y²||(x - y)(x + y)||difference of two squares |
|x² + y² *||(x -yi)(x + yi), i =
(-1)||sum of two squares |
* This expression can't be factored over the reals but can be factored over the complex numbers.
For vocabulary, see
What Do You Call A Hungry Parrot? Lesson, 220.
For general guidelines and
animations on factoring see
Written Notes on Factoring or other notes below.
All Sorts of Stuff
- Algebra Notes
- this page computes using the formula, & the discriminant
A Family of Quadratics y = ax2 + bx + c
Squaring, y = x2, y = x ·x
What's a Function?
- Index on topics like "How Functions Are Composed or Created", "Polynomial & Rational Functions"
- Function and Relation Library - Many functions w/their features & graphs
EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED
TO KNOW ABOUT QUADRATICS BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK
Vocabulary - parabolas, quadratics
- Quadratic Equations, Formula, & The Discriminant
|© 2005, Agnes Azzolino |