http://www.mathnstuff.com/math/calc/cqb28.htm © 2003
- Optimization, finding & using maxima & minima, is an important reason to learn calculus. This procedure requires
both arithmetic/algebra/geometry/precalc and calc.
- To create the formula to be maximized or minimized, arithmetic, algebra, geometry, & precalc are most important.
- To find the extrema calculus is used.
- In the text, section 3.7, pg. 216-218, use arithmetic, algebra, geometry, & precalc to set up the equation to be
maximized or minimized. Show paper & pencil work for problems 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 11 required to
generate these equations.
- State the interval over which the variable is defined.